Friday, September 29, 2017

Fall Smallmouth

Most of the world is covered by water. A fisherman's job is simple: Pick out the best parts.
-Charles Waterman

Acclaimed naturalist and author Edwin Way Teale once proclaimed  "For man, autumn is a time of harvest, of gathering together. For nature, it is a time of sowing, of scattering abroad."
Our Ozarks river smallmouth fit somewhere in the middle of that statement. 

Ozarks Fall Bronze!


As the water cools, river smallmouth start feeding to get ready for the winter. Forage fish like stonerollers, shiners and chubs (or slicks as we call them) begin migrating out of small tributaries, feeding along main river edges. Crawfish activity declines and these baitfish become the primary target of the smallmouths intent. 


Smallmouth bass are opportunists. In the spring and summer, as water temps rise, they will feed on a wide variety of forage. Hellgrammites, Crayfish, Dragonfly nymphs, big Hex nymphs, baby ducks, you name it. I've seen them sipping big green drakes like trout. 
As fall approaches, falling water temps trigger the urge to feed. Protein. These fish are meat eaters by nature and as they sense the changing of the seasons, the urge to pack in the calories increases. 

I've seen it flip like a switch; one day in mid September I'm fishing plunge pools and deep runs and the next, always following a cold front, there are fish herding stonerollers and Ozark Minnows on the bank in 3 inches of water. 

That initial cold front is key to the fall migration. Too short and the frenzy subsides quickly. Too long and it will put the fish down until the weather stabilizes. The ideal scenario for me would be a mild cold snap, followed by the idealistic fall weather we all look forward to after the dog days of summer. But this is the Ozarks: if you don't like the weather, wait a minute, it'll change....

So what does it all mean?
Once fall is here to stay, I start concentrating my efforts on gravel flats and shallow water runs below or adjacent to riffles. Long stretches of thin water with gravel and cover are ideal spots to ambush or herd baitfish that have schooled up in the shallows. 
Water levels will also determine fish location (and density) in the Fall.
Our last two falls have been relatively dry, leaving our Ozarks waterways bony. More water means more surface area for the food chain to do it's thing, and dry years can be tough on the fish (and fisherman). Low water can also mean low DO (dissolved oxygen) levels in the frog water, so look for the areas near riffles. Don't make the mistake of passing up the skinny water at the edges, more than once I've been surprised by a pig smallie sitting in just enough water to cover his backside...

If you are lucky enough to fish the winter, you may know some winter holes where smallmouth hang, waiting for warmer days and the urge to feed again. Pay attention to those areas and target water adjacent them. Fish will return to the same winter haunts year after year, and knowing these spots can lead to some very productive fall days. 
In the illustration below, I point out some of my favorite fall spots on a typical river-run:



Tips and tactics
Two friends of mine, Max Turner and Jason Vermeiren, have opposite approaches to fall smallmouth on the long rod. 
I'm pretty sure Max was born with a Sneaky Pete in one hand and a glass fly rod in the other. Jason ties some absolutely gorgeous streamers. Both catch fish consistently. 

Fall fishing, for me, means meat. Baitfish patterns. Streamers, crankbaits, spybaits and topwater like the Whopper Plopper. 

If I am not guiding or fishing a tournament in the fall, the conventional gear stays home and I carry a flyrod. My box has 7 patterns and their various mutations loaded up at all times:
1. SBS Streamer
2. Two or three sculpin imitations ( Mohawk, Belly Scratcher, etc)
3. Low-Fat minnows in Bluegill and Longear
4. The Equalizer in natural baitfish colors
5. The Shuttlecock in two or three colors
6. Hi-Tie minnows in bright colors
7. Large terrestrial patterns like hoppers and cicadas
I am not gonna tell you I don't carry other patterns like the clouser or bigger articulated streamers like the Sex Dungeon, but these are patterns I have modified to fit the forage in our rivers and they are definitely confidence flies. 

I also carry a few different weights of sink tips, from intermediate to type 7. 

Fish streamers like you mean it. Cast to the edges and vary your retrieve until you find the cadence the fish want. Always finish the retrieve to the rod tip. I've had smallies rocket out of no where to smash my fly 5 feet from my boots.  
Don't overlook large terrestrial patterns like hoppers, big beetles and cicadas. They live near the river, and end up trapped in the meniscus at times, easy prey for a smallmouth. These strikes can be life changing...

When I bring the gear, I always have a couple of crankbait boxes with me. My absolute favorite crankbait is the 1.5 squarebill. I carry it in 4 or 5 colors. And Whopper Ploppers. Man, that bait is downright scary sometimes. I've had fish blow them 4 feet out of the water only to come back on the next cast and kill it. I mean CRUSH that bait. Mr Dahlberg is a genius...
Match your gear and line size to the water. I carry mostly spinning gear on smaller creeks, matched with 6lb fluorocarbon. I do carry a baitcaster if I am fishing the Plopper, and keep it spooled up with 12lb fluorocarbon.  

My Soapbox
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this section are validated by thousands of maniacal Smallmouth enthusiasts across the nation. Resistance is futile...
Long, hot summers can be tough on fish. Follow these guidelines and make sure we pass this resource on to the next generation.
1. Play the fish quickly
2. Handle them minimally
3. Keep em wet! (or at least get the pictures taken quickly!)
4. De-barb your hooks when you can

That's it.  Fall is my favorite time of the year. The weather. The scenery. And the fishing!

See you out there!














No comments:

Post a Comment