Friday, February 26, 2021

Friday Facts 02.26.2021

02.26.2021

Vintage Fishing

The year was 1985. I had just gotten my drivers license. To a 16 year old consumed with the outdoors, that little piece of plastic was freedom. No more relying on parents, older friends and the like to get me where I wanted to go.
And where I wanted to go was the river. A lot.
The internet hadn’t reached our portion of the Ozarks yet, nor would it for another 10 or 12 years.
I was lucky that I had a father that loved to fish almost as much as I did. Lucky as well that everyone I associated with also fished or hunted.
I knew some spots, my buddies knew some more, the major problem we had to overcome was how to get there. To this point in my life, I’d relied on my dad or the aforementioned older friends (some of whom might have been less than reliable in the memory department) to take me where the fish were.
Now what?
This is a dilemma the modern angler doesn’t have to worry about.
At last count I belong to at least a dozen “fishing groups” on Facebook.
I see at least 10 posts everyday asking the question “I’m here and/or going here and need help finding fishing spots”
Or “what’s the go to lure for xyz river or creek?”
Hence the topic for this Friday Facts:
Going it Old School.
Ever wonder what separates good anglers from great anglers? I feel it is three things;
Curiosity (why does this work and not that, why are they here and not there)
Ability to find new water and fish it effectively (Research)
Willingness to go it alone, and learn by doing. (No fear of failure)

One of the most rewarding things in any Sportsman’s life is discovering that spot. The one that always produces. The one you’ll return to time and again knowing you’ll have success.

One of the most disheartening things you can endure is to see said spot “Blown Up” on social media.

I’m as guilty as the next guy of over sharing. It’s in my nature to help.
The dichotomy of this situation is palpable. You’ve got this honey hole. It’s amazing. You’ve caught so many big fish out of it, and posted pictures of them, that at some point word gets out. One morning you show up, and there are people in YOUR spot. It’s a real paradox.

It’s so easy to jump on Facebook or other social media and ask questions about spots (or presentations or patterns and so on) you’re interested in that I don’t think we actually stop and ask ourselves “How did so and so learn this spot, or technique?”
There are a ton of us out there that had to sniff these things out the old fashion way; ask a friend, look at maps, rely on the kindness of strangers or just flat out luck into a favorable situation.
Being old enough to remember what pre-internet life was like gives some of us a distinct advantage in our ability to actually research a location, and, maybe, more confidence in our ability to assess “foreign water” and the fish that swim there.

All of that leads to this:
How can I become more self-reliant? What resources are available to make my own way and find my own honey hole? Where is my damn net? Wait. That’s a different topic.

Believe it or not there are still a ton of “analog” resources available for those that want to make their own path.
Socrates said “To find yourself, think for yourself”
Here are a few tools to help you along the way.

DeLormes Atlas and Gazatteer
This gem is a county by county atlas of each and every state. All roads, blue lines(rivers and creeks for those not familiar) bridges, low water crossings are there in glorious topographic detail. I have one for MO, AR, OK, WI, WY, MT and CO. Invaluable for sniffing out “easement access “
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/575993

Google Earth
Although ABC and I have some differences in political opinions, there is no arguing that Google Earth is absolutely invaluable for an explorer. If you’ve got the computing horsepower, you can get pretty granular on access points, river bends, shoals and other likely spots. The Mobile version is fairly comprehensive as well. But there is no replacing the research you can do on your home PC with this powerful software application.
https://www.google.com/earth/

Fishing HotSpots Maps
If you’re a lake angler, and don’t have the latest gizmo to show you maps and fish underwater(Don’t ask my opinion on LiveScope...) Fishing Hotspots Maps is your new “besfren”. Detailed topo maps with depths, contours and even structural anomalies (e.g. brush piles, old road beds, creek channels etc) are a must have if you’re gonna go it alone.
https://www.fishinghotspots.com/#home

USGS Waterwatch
The USGS maintains several thousand water level gauges throughout the United States, giving viewers almost real time water level, flow and some very important historical data on rivers across our great nation. Knowing a rivers mean and median levels will help determine not only which stretch is fishable but also help you stay safe. I have text alerts set for a dozen or more creeks across the Ozarks to let me know when a specific river reaches what I feel are it’s “safe” levels to float.
https://waterwatch.usgs.gov/?m=real&r=mo

A Paddlers Guide to Missouri
The “bible” for Missouri river rats.
Access, river miles between said, and elevation stats for almost every floatable water in our region.
Mine is so worn I’m almost afraid to take it out.
Almost.
https://mdc.mo.gov/newsroom/discover-rivers-streams-mdc-revised-paddler-s-guide-missouri-0

200 Missouri Smallmouth Adventures
Chuck Tryons’ masterpiece detailing mile by mile smallmouth creeks all across the Missouri Ozarks.
It’s really hard to get. I have two copies; one for the Bookshelf and one I carry with me. Last I knew Missouri Smallmouth Alliance gave away a copy with a paid membership. Get this book if you’re even remotely serious about blazing your own trail.
https://www.bradwiegmann.com/books-and-dvds/54-books-and-dvds/512-200-missouri-smallmouth-adventures.html

Hire a guide
I've guided for almost 30 years now. Most of the guides I know care deeply about the fisheries they service and want to present them in the best possible light. 
They've also earned the knowledge they will eventually pass along to you, Casting, mending, fish habits. A good guide can save you an immeasurable amount of time searching the water you're interested in. Money well spent...
https://www.venku.com/ 

I’m sure there are more binary resources available. But how will you be truly “self-reliant” if I give them all away?

I’ll be the first one to tell you what I'm doing, how I am doing it and with what patterns. But I'll be a bit more gaurded on locations. Publicly. Privately, I'll still be happy to help!
I won’t do it publicly anymore.
Nature was meant to be discovered.And not by Facebook. But by intrepid explorers willing to brave failure and despair for a chance at glory.
Find your way.

1 comment:

  1. Love this, excellent advice. I like most adventure seekers always wonder what’s over the next hill, around the next bend in the river… great read

    ReplyDelete